More About Adams Shore Branch
Branch Librarian: Lori Seegraber
- 24/7 outdoor book and media returns located at the rear entrance
- Public computers with Internet access and Microsoft Office
- Free WiFi
- Black & white printing and copying
- Early literacy activities (magnet word boards, play cubes, puzzles, blocks, and more) for kids
- Community meeting room (capacity: 75; minimum to book: 10)
- Public restrooms
Drop-in morning storytimes for young children are offered from October to December and from February to May. For more information, check the event calendar, or call 617-376-1300 x7.
The Adams Shore Branch has designated handicapped parking spaces in the library parking lot, automatic door openers, and an accessible public bathroom. The building is fully accessible to users with mobility impairments.
The Adams Shore Branch Library was formally dedicated by Mayor James R. McIntyre on April 10, 1970. The building, designed by Coletti Brothers, Architects of Hingham, Mass., was erected in 1969 by Waltham Building Construction Company.
The front of the building is a cylindrical mass of glass which, in combination with interior wooden beams, suggests a ship's wheel. The back of the building fans out from the circular structure to house a program room and other facilities. The building site is at the intersection of Sea and Palmer streets, positioned to serve Houghs Neck, Germantown, Adams Shore, and Merrymount.
The building was financed through a municipal bond, a federal grant, and City appropriations. Total expenditure for the branch library was around $600,000, which included a $75,000 federal reimbursement grant and $20,000 in urban beautification funds for landscaping.
Henry E. Bates was director of libraries during the initial planning of the branch, and Warren E. Watson was director during the building and opening of the branch. Ms. Betty Santangelo was the acting branch librarian and Mrs. Blanche Eckert was the children's librarian when the branch opened.